Spread over an area of 464.42 sq. km. in Kadapa district Lankamala sanctuary lies at a distance of 60 km (15 km by walk) from Kadapa town. The sanctuary has deep gorges and steep slopes with beautiful waterfalls.
The forest of this sanctuary is dry deciduous thorn mixed forests, dry evergreen scrubs, etc. It is the home of Red Sanders, an endemic species of the area.
This sanctuary is the habitat for the rare and endangered species, double-banded .
SPECIALITIES at a glance:
- LOCATION : Kadapa District.
- AREA : Area 464.42 Sq. Kms.
- UNIQUENESS : The only habitat in the world harbouring the Jerdon’s Courser a highly endangered bird.
- FLORA : Dry deciduous mixed thorn forests with deep gorges and steep slopes. Red Sanders, an endemic species is found here.
- FAUNA : Panther, Sloth Bear, Cheetal, Sambar, Chowsingha, Chinkara, Nilgai, Wild Boar, Fox and the Jerdon’s Courser.
- ACCESSIBILITY : 60 Kms. by road from kadapa railway station.
- ACCOMMODATION : Forest rest house at Siddavotam & kadapa.
- SEASON : October to March.
For more Details:
Chief Wildlife Warden (AP),
Conservator of Forests,
Wildlife Management Circle,
Aranya Bhavan, Hyderabad –4, AP.
HOW TO REACH THIS PLACE:
60 kms from kadapa and 420 kms from Hyderabad .
60 kms from kadapa and 420 kms from Hyderabad.
Nearest Railway station: Kadapa
Nearest Airports: Tirupati(138km), Chennai(253 km), Bangalore(282km)