Jammalamadugu (Telugu: జమ్మలమడుగు) one of the major towns of Kadapa district, with a population of 90,502 of which males constitute 49% and females 51%. Jammalamadugu has an average literacy rate of 64%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 74%, and female literacy is 54%. In Jammalamadugu, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age. This is the headquarters of the taluk and of the Revenue division. It is situated in a central position on the north bank of the Penner, twelve miles from Muddanur railway station.
The town is compactly built round the fort which commands the river. This place, sometimes referred to as Jambulamadaka in the earlier records.The town was constituted a union in 1886. Jammalamadugu was upgraded from major panchayat to municipality in the year 2008. It is used to be the headquarters of the London Mission Society in Kadapa district, whose substantial stone bungalows in their extensive compounds to the north of the town have added much to its appearance. The Local Fund dispensary was closed some years ago, as the London Mission hospital supplies all the medical needs of the neighbourhood. This CSI Campbell Hospital was built in 1896. The present Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, Dr. Y.S.Rajasekhara Reddy also born and worked in this hospital as a doctor.
The principal trade of the town is in cotton. Weaving of a more ambitious character than usual is carried on by families of Mahratta extraction. In addition to turbans which chiefly exported to the Bombay Presidency there is also a considerable manufacture of coloured table-cloths, curtains and similar articles, which are dyed by Rangarazus and stamped with patterns of animals and birds. The largest temple in the place, dedicated to Venkateswaraswami, lies to the south-west of the town literally in a sand heap on the banks of the Penner. One more prominent temple in Jammalamadugu is Sri Vasavi Kanyaka Parameswari Temple, which was constructed in 1903 with the co-operation of all Vysyas in Jammalamadugu and surrounds. Built strongly and maintains very well during entire year. Especially in Dassera festival, temple would be decorated with high end decorative items and attracts people from different religions and castes. Approximately 0.5 million people would visit during Dassera (9 days festival). Temple is maintaing by Komati Community by elected persons among the same caste.
In the Musalman cemetery—also on the bank of the river—is the grave of the first and last Nawab of Jammalamiidugu, Abdul Syed Khan, to whom the town and the surrounding territory were granted as a jaghir by Tipu. Legend relates that the Nawab declined to allow his last resting place to be covered even with the slab of stone which is shown close by, and the simple earthen mound is in striking contrast to the large and ornate tomb of his wife not far distant. A descendant of the Nawab used to receives an allowance from Government for the upkeep of the mosque – during British regime.